17 October, 2005

"Shoulds " and "Musts"

"Shoulds" and "Musts" are another pet peeve of mine and bring out the Rebel in me .

Who says I should ?
Who says I must ?

Live your own life- not someone else's !

Trouble is , that often we don't know what we want . We are not so certain of what makes us happy so instead we say " should " because we imagine it is what others expect of us. We can become conditioned to following "orders" blindly, without question. Rediculous really when you think about it .

I have found that substituting " COULD " instead of should , helps.
" I should clean the windows "
I suppose I COULD , do I want to ? Do I choose to? NO .. well ok .. leave it then .
They have been left for about 10 years now lol and I'm no worse off . Soon I won't need curtains lol and I'm told that dirty windows keep harmful rays out ...also .. it is easier to walk around the place naked without fear of someone seeing in ...lol.

"The voice of our original self is often muffled, overwhelmed, even strangled, by the voices of other people's expectations. The tongue of the original self is the language of the heart."
-- Julie Cameron

Blessed be the language of the heart . I totally agree.


We are each unique beings with a unique path in life. If we wish to be fulfilled, we need to go to our own hearts for direction. We might regularly ask ourselves:-

- "What do I really want to do?"
- "What brings me greatest happiness?"
- "How can I bring more of these into my life?"

Life wants us to go for what brings us most JOY and meaning.

What do you ache for?
What is your passion ?
What makes your heart sing ?

GO FOR IT ! if you dare .. it takes courage to dream too.


"What you must dare is to be yourself."
says Dag Hammarskjöld

No comments: